Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hat Tip to Capitol Blog

The Capitol Fax Blog picked up my comments regarding the recent State Journal Register article regarding a neighbor who apparently shot a dog which then deteriorated into what was a blatant anti-semitic rant. The State Journal Register claims that it screens all comments prior to posting them but that (as we hunters like to say) dog just won't hunt. I would like to thank the Capitol Blog for the hat tip and I respectfully give them one in return. This is a good blog with excellent sources of information and although I do not always agree with the editorials, I respect the editors enormously.


[Follow up to original article]

After writing my article, I dropped an email to the reporter who wrote the article and explained my disappointment in the papers decision to allow those posts, and after a few days I finally received a response. I have yet to send a follow up email, as I know it will do little good other than make myself feel better, but alas I do plan on following up with her tomorrow.

Here is the response in its entirety:

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I apologize for mydelayed response as I was out of the office on Thursday and Friday withoutaccess to my email account.

I am very sorry to learn how offensive you found some of the remarks on themessage board accompanying my story. I, along with all of our reporters, donot see or approve comments before they are posted. The newspaper's onlineeditor Jason Piscia and other editors are responsible for the screeningprocess with the message boards. I have forwarded you email to him, and heis aware of your concerns.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,

I did appreciate the response from Amanda Reavy and I am sure she was being honest with her comments; what bothered me the most is that it was an editor who was approving these comments and apparently they did not find them the least bit offensive. Maybe it was an overreaction on my part and yes I will admit that at times I can be a tad bit sensitive to such comments, but when a newspaper claims to screen reader comments to avoid such remarks and then allows then it calls into question their motives and honor.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.