Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Preferential treatment in employment

There have been numerous conversations, blogs, and editorials written on this particular subject and I really really really mean it when I say that I hate to bring this up again. HOWEVER! I was reading on the sj-r.com tonight a discussion regarding the Governors intern and employment policies and one of the posters caused me to really think about one particular issue.

As it currently stands in Illinois, Veterans are given preferential treatment when applying for jobs with CMS, the Governors office, and othere state agencies. In addition, many federal jobs have the same status applied to them (postal service to name just one). I fully support our military, they deserve far more than they are currently receiving but I have to admit that there are times that I get irritated when someone is given preferential treatment in employment just because of their service, etc.

This is a difficult subject matter for me for several reasons. First and foremost I am dating the most wonderful young lady that has ever graced the face of this planet. She is funny, witty, honest, compassionate, loyal to a "t", pragmatic, diligent, a great conversationalist, opinionated, tough as nails, kind, considerate of others, tolerant, gorgeous, sexy, and most of all she has the ability to put up with me for more than a few minutes at a time. She is also disabled. She cannot walk due to a hiking accident approximately 20 years ago and is confined to a wheelchair.

Prior to meeting her I had given the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) less thought than I had about the internal workings of the fertilizer industry. That said, I had some misgivings about some of the requirements that were being placed upon businesses by the ADA. I have now seen up close and personal the benefit this law provides to countless individuals and how even with the law, some still, although I believe it is unintentional, discriminate against these same individuals. The law is not perfect but it does provide some sense of normalcy to a life that is anything but normal; where an everyday task becomes a major obstacle for many.

I have no problem with providing these individuals some assistance in acquiring suitable employment in an environment that treats them with respect and dignity; yet, I do believe that you need to be first qualified. That is one factor that I think in some circumstances is missing when employement preferences are granted.

I would take it personally if she were denied employment on the basis of her condition (which is extremely difficult to prove - hence the preferences to avoid even the appearance of such a denial) and I mean VERY PERSONALLY!. So please understand that I am coming from a unique perspective here.

When it comes to granting preferences to someone who has no disability, who has seen not a second of combat and served the minimum allowable time in the military; I have a really tough time seeing how giving them preferential treatment somehow benefits society. I know I am going to really irritate some in the military and I truly mean no disrespect, they have my utmost respect for their service, yet it is only the few that I take to task.

Back to the discussion on www.sj-r.com tonight, Ashrak made the following suggestion when it comes to employment preferences for those in the military:

"Every soldier that serves in combat should be exempt from federal income tax. Then, remove all forms of preferential treatment for any hiring except the merits of the applicant's ability to do the job."

It got me thinking........I could agree with that statement! However I would change it to the following:

"Every soldier that serves either for a period of not less than 10 years or one that has served in a combat role shall be exempt from all federal and state income taxes, provided that if at any time that soldier should be elected to either a statewide office or federal office the exemption shall become null and void".

My thought is if you give 10+ years of your life to the military (that would include Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard), you deserved a break and what better break to give someone than to eliminate their need to pay into federal or state income taxes. This would also apply to any military personnel who serves in a combat role. The exception would be that if you decide to run for public office you give up that exemption. I do not think politicians should benefit from a tax exemption after the huge pensions and health care plans they already get.

Then, remove all military preferences from employment. In effect a soldier would be receiving at the very least a 17% increase in take home pay.

Any thoughts? Am I way off base here or is this something that many could agree with?

No comments: